You don't need to venture to the south to get a taste of some Texas style bar-be-que. The Silver Spur in Elm Grove has been serving up Texas style BBQ since 1991.
"The inspiration for the Spur came from a desire to bring quality Texas Style BBQ to Milwaukee," co-owner Frank Hornick said of he and his co-owners Joe Zupan and Bradley and Christine Richmond.
The restaurant originally opened in 1991 on Greenfield Ave. in the Town of Brookfield, but a fire in 2008 destroyed the building.
"When we were looking for a new home, the Elm grove building was a perfect fit Built in 1854, is the second oldest continuously running restaurant in the state," said Hornick. The building once housed a blacksmith and livery stable, was once a post office, and rooms used to be rented out upstairs before finally becoming Reusch's Tavern in the fifties.
Everything the restaurant serves is made from scratch, something that Hornick said is "not found often in this world of large corporate chains."
He added that "We are known for our BBQ, but offer some Mexican, pasta dishes, great salad, and fresh fish is flown in daily."
Start your meal with an appetizer of Bubba's crispy chicken crunch strips, coconut beer shrimp, or tot-chos, crisp tater tots smoothed with co-jack cheese, tomatoes, black olives, scallions and sour cream. BBQ items include BBQ ribs, brisket, hot sausage links, pulled pork and chicken. Among the Spur favorites are The Spur pork chop, southwest Cajun pasta, risotto del mar, and a variety of tacos, enchiladas, and burritos. Just like in Texas, The Silver Spur serves warm BBQ sauce on the side to allow guests to add it to their meat based on their personal preference.
"We are a friendly establishment, and like to make everyone feel at home. We have customers that met at the old location, married, and now bring their children," explained Hornick.
The restaurant offers two separate dining rooms perfect for private events, and a large outdoor deck to enjoy summer. The Silver Spur offers full time catering services for all sized events, from 10 to 5000.
Catering menu options vary from BBQ items including a pig roast, to deli packes, Texas grill, kids items, and even the Big Ole' Breakfast for those with an early day event.
"We can create any type of menu through catering. We have done weddings for 300 with Italian menu, and once an oriental themed event," he said.
Name: The Silver Spur
Address: 13275 Watertown Plank Rd. Elm Grove, Wi 53122
Phone: 262-821-1511Website: http://www.silverspurbbq.com/
Taste: Texas BBQ, Mexican, fresh fish
Hours: Mon-Sat 11`am-10pm
Price Range: $8-$16
Reservations: Reservations accepted
Handicapped access: Yes
Gluten free options: Yes
- Taste of the Town: O'Donoghue's gives an Irish flavor to the heart of Elm Grove
- Loaf and Jug knows that some things should remain unchanged
- Taste of the Town: Maxie's
- Parkside 23, with a garden out back, pays attention to the seasons
- Taste of the Town: Penelope's in Elm Grove, with its varied menu, thrives in the heart of the village
- Breakfast is back at Cosmos Cafe
- Elm Grove's Le Cakery more than just pastries
- Red Dot aims to duplicate East Side success in Wauwatosa
- There's No Place Like Hom Woodfired Grill
- Mo's Irish Pub: A lively Irish American neighborhood eatery
- Sluggo's Sports Pub & Grill: Back in business on Burleigh
- Tall Guy and a Grill: BBQ finds new heights
- Cocina DeLeon: Old-world gourmet Mexican you make at home
- Burke's Irish Castle carrying on a local Irish legacy
- Albanese's Roadhouse serves up generations of Italian blessings
- BelAir Cantina: A breezy, Cali-Mex casual eatery
- Colonel Hart's: A true neighborhood hangout
- Caroline's, with homemade lunch and sweets just like mom made
- Ted's: It's Cheers without the beers
- Penelope's: A labor of love in heart of Elm Grove