State Sen. Leah Vukmir, R-Wauwatosa
· A bill, co-authored by Vukmir, revamping oversight of mental health policy in Milwaukee County passed both houses of the Legislature on March 21 to await Gov. Scott Walker's signature. The bill calls for creating a new mental health board that would take authority away from the Milwaukee County Board and audit the county's Mental Health Complex.
State Rep. Dale Kooyenga, R-Brookfield
· A bill introduced by Kooyenga, allocating payment to a man wrongly convicted of murder, passed the Assembly unanimously March 18 after passing the Senate last year. Robert Stinson was convicted for the murder of Ione Cychosz in 1984 and was in prison until 2009, when all charges against him were dismissed due to DNA testing with assistance from the Wisconsin Innocence Project. Under current state law, Stinson would only be allowed up to $25,000 in compensation. Kooyenga's bill would give Stinson $90,000 from the general fund.
U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin, D-Madison
· Baldwin introduced a bill March 13 that toughens protections against workplace harassment. The bill would amend several acts to hold employers more accountable for the actions of their employees, for example, making employers liable for harassment if their negligence allows the behavior to begin or continue. The bill was sent to the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions.
U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson, D-Madison
· After a visit to Ukraine, Johnson told a reporter for Gannett on March 17 that he thought the U.S. should send Ukraine small arms and other military aid, but not American troops.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Taste of the Town: Penelope's in Elm Grove, with its varied menu, thrives in the heart of the villag
- Weekly Planner: Oct 2
- Elm Grove family key to Vietnam program
- Brookfield church using a game to decrease environmental impact
- In wake of theft spree, Brookfield police give gym safety tips
- Business Notes: Oct. 2
- Mystery Photo Contest: Oct. 2
- Town of Brookfield plays a waiting game on The Corners
- Brookfield dog rescue operation tries to find a place in life for every dog
- Ask Now: Which has more park space per resident — the City of Brookfield, or Elm Grove?