State Sen. Leah Vukmir, R-Wauwatosa
· A bill, co-authored by Vukmir, revamping oversight of mental health policy in Milwaukee County passed both houses of the Legislature on March 21 to await Gov. Scott Walker's signature. The bill calls for creating a new mental health board that would take authority away from the Milwaukee County Board and audit the county's Mental Health Complex.
State Rep. Dale Kooyenga, R-Brookfield
· A bill introduced by Kooyenga, allocating payment to a man wrongly convicted of murder, passed the Assembly unanimously March 18 after passing the Senate last year. Robert Stinson was convicted for the murder of Ione Cychosz in 1984 and was in prison until 2009, when all charges against him were dismissed due to DNA testing with assistance from the Wisconsin Innocence Project. Under current state law, Stinson would only be allowed up to $25,000 in compensation. Kooyenga's bill would give Stinson $90,000 from the general fund.
U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin, D-Madison
· Baldwin introduced a bill March 13 that toughens protections against workplace harassment. The bill would amend several acts to hold employers more accountable for the actions of their employees, for example, making employers liable for harassment if their negligence allows the behavior to begin or continue. The bill was sent to the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions.
U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson, D-Madison
· After a visit to Ukraine, Johnson told a reporter for Gannett on March 17 that he thought the U.S. should send Ukraine small arms and other military aid, but not American troops.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Milwaukee suburbs trick-or-treat times 2015
- Business Spotlight: Elm Grove wood studio lets the creative juices flow
- Elm Grove library surveying residents on future
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Mystery Photo Contest: June18
- Brookfield and Elm Grove meetings: June 18
- Ask Now: Who do I call if I see an injured animal in my yard?
- Elm Grove to host summer movies series
- Author Spike Carlsen to Appear at Elm Grove Library
- Brookfield-area musicians get set for summer tour
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: June 4