Barracudas third in conference tournament
Sass, Wahlgren and 200 free relay team all capture third place
The Brookfield Barracudas finished third in the 9-team Classic 8/Greater Metro Conference boys swimming/diving tournament at Waukesha South on Saturday.
The Barracudas finished behind Arrowhead, who scored 520 points, and Waukesha South/Catholic Memorial, who had 444. Brookfield's 374 was well ahead of fourth-place Marquette (345).
"There were so many successful swims, it is impossible to list all of the best times," an elated Brookfield coach Bill Twitchell said. "But if the pain in the coach's hands from high fives is any indication, this was one whale of a meet."
Leading the way with third-place finishes were junior William Sass in the 1-meter diving (377.05 points), the 200-yard freestyle relay of seniors Justin Kaplan, Alex Howland, Brad Bartel and junior Erik Walden in 1 minute, 32.13 seconds.
Walgren also finished third in the 50 free (22.34) and fourth in the 100 free (49.12).
400 free relay of seniors Brian Borden, Adam Berry and Brad Bartel along with Wahlgren took fourth (3:26.73) and the B 400 free relay of Kapke, senior Robbie Greco, freshman Michael Flatley and junior Ryan Hoaglund (3:29.86).
Flatley also took fifth in the 500 free (5:12.94) and there were three sixth-place finishes - the 200 medley relay of Borden, freshman Tyler Patt, Greco and Howland (1:45.40), Greco in the 100 butterfly (56.65) and Borden in the 100 backstroke (56.98).
Senior Alex Behling in 1-meter diving (297.15), Bartel in the 200 individual medley (2:07.98) and the 100 fly (57.38), Howland in the 50 free (23.40), Patt in the 100 breaststroke (1:07.15) and the B 200 free relay B of sophomore Joe Bauer, Berry, Hoaglund and junior Mitch Douglas (1:36.60) were all seventh-place performers.
Berry finished seventh in the 500 free (5:13.25) and eighth in the 200 free (1:52.80) to wrap up the top eight finishes for the Barracudas.
at Waukesha South
1. Arrowhead (520 points), 2. Waukesha South/Catholic Memorial e Falls/Sussex Hamilton/Germantown (444), 3. Brookfield (374.5), 4. Marquette (345), 5. Waukesha West/Mukwonago (203), 6. Menomonee Falls/Sussex Hamilton/Germantown (175), 7. Waukesha North/Kettle Moraine (157), 8. West Allis (95), 9. Pius XI (11).
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Salmon's 22 points sparks Tosa East's win over West Allis Hale
- Boys basketball: Battle of Brookfield goes according to script
- Adams proud of Lancers' senior class
- Central to host D2 finals Saturday
- Home Sweet Home for Lancers
- Brookfield Academy: March 6
- USM ends Stars' season
- Pennow heading to gymnastics state tournament
- John Rymaszewski sparks Stars' surge
- No. 1 Central to host eight-seed East boys Friday