The Brookfield Central girls beat Menomonee Falls, 47-37, Friday night at home and captured their fourth straight Greater Metro Conference Championship.
The Lancers (16-6) won the titles outright three times (2007-8, 2008-09 and this year) and shared the title with Divine Savior Holy Angels in 2009-10. In that four-year span they compiled an amazing .929 winning percentage, winning 52-of 56 games. They went 12-2, 14-0 and 13-1 twice in that stretch.
It was a special moment for the five seniors on the team - Valerierose Agnello, Victori Fasi, Andrea Schneider, Ariel Goodman and Maddy Flynn. Agnello was a big part of the titles the last three years, while Flynn, Schneider and Goodman played smaller roles.
But Central also had players like junior Anna Liewen, sophomore Sara Fotsch and freshman Lydia Rohde play big roles on this title team.
Against the Indians all the seniors contributed, as Schneider (5), Goodman (4) and Flynn (5) all had some key baskets, while Fasi played a solid point guard role.
Agnello got into early foul trouble and finished with eight points, but Fotsch stepped up big time and scored 10 points while Liewen led the team with 15 points, hitting 9-of-17 from the free throw line.
Central led 8-5 after the first quarter and 22-12 at half-time and expanded that to 33-19 after three periods.
The Indians didn't quit as they cut the lead to 39-31 with about 3 minutes left to play as Erin Crownover sandwiched two baskets around a Mikayla Robertson 3-pointer.
But after a timeout by Central coach Dan Wandrey, Agnello scored on a fastbreak basket on a pass from Schneider and Rohde passed to Fotsch, who hit a jumper for a 43-31 lead.
Falls' Rachel Defnet, who led Falls with 11, hit two free throws, but Fotsch put back a rebound shot and Liewen scored on a fastbreak basket with 41.8 left and Central's lead was back at 14 points, 47-33.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brookfield Central Lancers make first trip to state baseball since 2001
- Catholic Memorial ends Spartans season with 4-2 regional victory
- Baseball: Ausloos dazzles as Brookfield Central edges KM
- Indians hold off Central, 7-5
- Brookfield bulldogs crush Hartland but lose to West Bend
- Brookfield East baseball team enjoys early starting times
- Chargers knock off Brookfield Central in semis
- Brookfield East goes 3-0 in GMC tournament
- Brookfield Central beats Greenfield, Mukwonago
- Brookfield Blue Sox have perfect weekend