The Brookfield East girls lost an opportunity to win their first Greater Metro Conference game Friday and dropped a 53-49 decision at West Allis Hale.
The loss dropped the Spartans (2-5 overall) to last place (0-3) in the conference, the only team without a win going into the holidays.
The Huskies (1-2, 1-4) led 12-9 after one quarter, but the Spartans went on a 14-8 run in the second period to take a 23-20 lead into half-time.
East then took a 37-34 lead into the fourth quarter, but Hale outscored the Spartans by seven (19-12) in the final period as East's defense struggled down the stretch.
"The fourth quarter we allowed a lot of second-chance points and fouled," East coach Kelly Lam explained. "Hale was sent to the free throw line and knocked down the shots."
Freshman wing Kellie Goodman continued to impress as she led the way with 18 points and 11 rebounds. But she was only 5-of-9 from the free-throw line as the Spartans had 32 free-throw attempts, but converted only 18 shots.
"Kellie played a great overall game," Lam said. "She is a playmaker and makes her teammates better. She is an aggressive and competitive player."
Lam emphasized that one of the positives about Goodman was she is a complete player.
"On defense, she can guard the point guard to post player," she said. "She has great footwork which allows her to be versatile."
East did have good scoring balance as sophomores Christy Johnson and Adriana Gibbs each had nine points, while juniors Lauren Kennedy and Emily Utic had seven and six points, respectively.
Erin Barbeau had 21 points and Sarah Mueller added 14 as 10 Huskies got on the scoreboard.
- Germantown boys basketball team holds off Brookfield Central, 77-62
- Brookfield East's Hyndiuk shines on mound
- Lightning strikes in shootout to beat Brookfield Academy girls
- Brookfield Bulldogs score 4 runs in 11th inning to nip Lannon
- Brookfield Blue Sox lose to first-place Pewaukee
- Brookfield East's Bullen earns MVP honors for track
- Brookfield Central puts six softball players on all-Greater Metro Conference team
- Sport Shorts: June 18, 2015
- Brookfield East wrestling camps set
- More success on horizon for Brookfield East boys track team