The Brookfield East girls lost an opportunity to win their first Greater Metro Conference game Friday and dropped a 53-49 decision at West Allis Hale.
The loss dropped the Spartans (2-5 overall) to last place (0-3) in the conference, the only team without a win going into the holidays.
The Huskies (1-2, 1-4) led 12-9 after one quarter, but the Spartans went on a 14-8 run in the second period to take a 23-20 lead into half-time.
East then took a 37-34 lead into the fourth quarter, but Hale outscored the Spartans by seven (19-12) in the final period as East's defense struggled down the stretch.
"The fourth quarter we allowed a lot of second-chance points and fouled," East coach Kelly Lam explained. "Hale was sent to the free throw line and knocked down the shots."
Freshman wing Kellie Goodman continued to impress as she led the way with 18 points and 11 rebounds. But she was only 5-of-9 from the free-throw line as the Spartans had 32 free-throw attempts, but converted only 18 shots.
"Kellie played a great overall game," Lam said. "She is a playmaker and makes her teammates better. She is an aggressive and competitive player."
Lam emphasized that one of the positives about Goodman was she is a complete player.
"On defense, she can guard the point guard to post player," she said. "She has great footwork which allows her to be versatile."
East did have good scoring balance as sophomores Christy Johnson and Adriana Gibbs each had nine points, while juniors Lauren Kennedy and Emily Utic had seven and six points, respectively.
Erin Barbeau had 21 points and Sarah Mueller added 14 as 10 Huskies got on the scoreboard.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Boys basketball: Hamilton, Brookfield Central renew rivalry Friday
- Former Central kicker coaching at UW-La Crosse
- Wrestling: Central on both sides of nail-biter, nips Chargers
- East wrestlers lose opener to West Allis Central
- Engelhart, Simon spark two Brookfield East victories
- East girls earn first win, crush Nicolet
- Brookfield Academy
- Boys hockey: Stars romp past Greendale in league opener
- Boys swimming: Borden, Rumpit lead swimmers at home invite
- Lancers crush Park for third straight win