In a match that was a defensive battle, with neither team finishing its shots, it wasn't surprising that it took a penalty kick to give the Spartans a 1-0 victory Tuesday night at East.
With the match scoreless at intermission, East's John Orgovan was fouled in the box by Central at the 41:22 mark. East's Ben Kosmider took the penalty kick and completed it and that was to be all the scoring for the night.
The Spartans outshot Central, 3-0, in the first half, but then dominated the second half with a 17-1 margin.The East defense was led by Mark Glowacki, Mike Freigang, Josh Breider and Mick Kemnitz.
"We're still working on finishing the ball," East coach Herbie Dundun said. "We create opportunities and we don't finish them. We are getting better, but it is our major drawback.
To have 17 shots on goal and not complete them is something we must continue to work on. I am very happy with the win and having the penalty kick finished by Kosmider."
East is now 4-1 behind Marquette (5-0) in the Greater Metro Conference race, while Central fell to 2-3.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Fond du Lac nips Brookfield/CMH Stars in overtime
- Sports Wraps Feb. 26
- Brookfield East's Dempsey off to state wrestling
- Rumpit, Attenberger lead Brookfield Barracuda effort
- Brookfield Central boys ski team finish 18th at state
- Brookfield Academy: Feb. 26, 2015
- WIAA basketball playoffs to begin this weekend for Brookfield
- Sport Shorts: Feb. 19, 2015
- Hamilton downs Brookfield East as GMC parity continues
- Brookfield Stars, Glacier hockey playoffs begin