Brookfield East dominated crosstown rival Brookfield Central on Friday at Central and walked off with an impressive 37-14 victory.
Senior running back Zach Schober scored twice, quarterback Zach Damico added a short touchdown and wide receivers Brian Smith and Kyle Wirtz scored on deceptive end around plays to spark the Spartans’ victory.
Place-kicker Connor Allen kicked a 22-yard field goal and was 3-for-4 in extra point attempts to round out the scoring.
When Wirtz scored on a beautiful 14-yard run around left end with 11 minutes, 17 seconds left in the game, it made the score 37-0 and started a running clock in the game.
Central scored two late touchdowns off the East reserves to prevent a shutout.
"No we’re not surprised," East defensive end Alec James said when asked about the huge discrepancy in the score. "We’ve been working all week. They’re a real complex offense. We have an amazing coaching staff. What they taught us, we did our job and that’s what we expected."
James felt this was the Spartans best week of practice so far.
"The level of focus, the level of intensity, by coaches and players, it’s an amazing feeling and hopefully we can feel it again."
Schober also wasn’t surprised by the Spartans dominance.
"No not really," he said. "We played excellent on both sides of the ball, including special teams. We came out here and just played spectacular ball and it all started with the defense. We did a great job overall."
Afterward East coach Tom Swittel talked about his team’s goals.
"We have three goals every year," he said. "We want to beat Brookfield Central and win the city championship. We want to make the playoffs and want to win a conference championship and we did two of three tonight."
With four wins in the Greater Metro Conference, the Spartans qualified for postseason play.
"They dominated us early on, we dug ourselves a hole and couldn’t get out," Central coach Jamie Meulemans said afterward.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Big 4th quarter sparks Brookfield Central victory
- Brookfield Central boys basketball team pulls away in fourth quarter
- Brookfield Central wrestlers defeat Spartans
- Brookfield/Cathoic Memorial Stars split two games on weekend
- Brookfield-Elm Grove sports notes: Dec. 18, 2014
- Smith's basket closes out Brookfield East win over Bulldogs
- Brookfield Academy sports roundup, Dec. 18
- Brookfield gymnasts beat Port Washington in opener
- Three Brookfield players on NOW All-Suburban Football Team
- Brookfield Stars skaters lose to Homestead, De Pere