In the last game played in the Brookfield East gym, the Spartans beat West Allis Hale, 70-58, and closed the Greater Metro Conference season with a three-game winning streak Feb. 25.
Next year, the Spartans will have a new field house.
"It's a tough game to play because I didn't want the kids to put extra pressure on themselves to play well when you're closing the building and stuff like that," Brookfield East coach Andy Farley said.
East sophomore forward C.J. Gregg scored 25 points, including 17 in the first half, to spark the victory. Daniel Patton added 13 and Dan Osgood 10.
"C.J. did a nice job," Farley said. "He had a nice combination of inside-outside for him. He's doing a good job for us lately scoring inside. We needed him to score inside. He played well."
East led, 45-29, with 5 minutes, 18 seconds left in the third period before the Huskies cut the lead to 60-56 with 2:23 left in the game. East finished with a 10-2 run, however, as Devonte Harper, Gregg and Demetri Tongas sank free throws to start the run and Harper added two more free throws and passed to Patton for a fastbreak layup to finish it.
"They (Huskies) came back and we handled that adversity and came right back," Farley said.
The Spartans finished the league season with a 4-10 record (6-14 overall). Hale was 0-14 (0-20).
Three former East coaches were at the finale game - La Vern Luebstorf (1966-95), Tom Diciaula (1993-2001) and Mark Ritter (1995-2002) - as was former athletic director Jerry Keyes and 12 former players: Guy Lam and Steve Osgood (1968), Jim Niemann (1978), John Diumstra (1984), all-time leading scorer Eric Haertle and Brian Burke (1985), Brett Richter (1991), Tad Diciaula (1995), Joe Farley (2000), Ben Farley (2004), Chad Huenink (2005) and Sam Katula (2006).
Eleventh-seeded East faced sixth-seeded Waterford on March 3 in a regional semifinal. The winner plays either Racine Park or West Allis Hale in a regional final on March 7.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brookfield East Spartans nip West Allis Hale, 17-13, on gridiron
- Labellarte, Meves spark BC's 35-12 win over Bulldogs
- BROOKFIELD ACADEMY: OCT. 2
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 26
- Brookfield East netters beat Red, Raiders, Lancers, fifth at Nicolet Invite
- Brookfield Academy sports summaries: Sept. 25
- Brookfield Library Recommendations: Sept. 25
- Brookfield Central girl spikers win Oshkosh Showdown
- Brookfield East boys volleyball coach named 2013-14 Coach of Year
- Brookfield Central girls win seventh consecutive Angel Invite cross country meet