The Brookfield East baseball team's storybook season came to a nightmarish end Tuesday evening as they lost a WIAA sectional final to Arrowhead, 10-0, in Germantown.
In a game that was shortened to six innings because of the 10-run rule, Arrowhead scored one run in third, two runs in fourth and three in fifth to take a 6-0 lead.
The Warhawks then closed out the game with four runs in the sixth inning, as East failed to get a batter out before the game was called.
The loss came hours after East defeated crosstown rival Brookfield Central in the sectional semifinal.
"I think we were really drained after winning the semifinal," said East coach Tim Granger. "We really played hard, but I think we left it all on the field and we were emotionally spent."
Jake Janowski pitched four innings for East and gave up three runs. Brian Sylla relieved him and allowed three runs in the fifth and four in the sixth to close out the game.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brookfield East boys battle Marquette down to the end in loss
- Brookfield Central Lancers boys basketball team loses to Huskies, Bulldogs
- Holz finishes just short of medals for Falls wrestlers
- Sports Notes: March 5
- Brookfield East's Dempey loses tough decisions at state wrestling tourney
- Brookfield East boys ski team finishes sixth at state meet
- Brookfield Central names 2015 Hall of Fame Class
- Girls basketball: Brookfield Academy girls build insurmountable lead in win over Brown Deer
- Brookfield's Locante, Pennow earn sectional gymnastics championships
- Fond du Lac nips Brookfield/CMH Stars in overtime