Wauwatosa West boys cross country coach Mike Vann is looking forward to the season, and he feels the Trojans have a chance to improve on their sixth-place finish in the Woodland Conference.
"The team ran very well at conference last year," Vann said, "but we hope to move up in the conference this year as our top two finishers return to lead the team."
Seniors Alex Steiner and Aaron Krahn return to lead the team, and Vann is excited about newcomer Demetrius Mensah, an outstanding varsity wrestler the past three seasons who will make Tosa West "more competitive."
Krahn placed 16th at conference, and Steiner was 18th last year. Other returnees are senior Jacob Sleider and junior Michael Kayser.
Besides Mensah, Vann also is counting on promising newcomers Andrew McOlash, a junior, and Patrick Campbell, a freshman.
Completing the roster at this time are freshmen Kevin Dettlaff, Peter Ganser and Jack Bresnahan.
Vann, who did an excellent job with the track program, will be working to bring that success to the cross country program as well.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Elm Grove library to host free family event for Earth Day
- Henning, Vitale to lead Spartans golf team
- For East's Harper it's all about her teammates
- East's Hollingsworth looks to defend high jump title
- Brookfield Academy: April 21
- Sports Shorts: April 14
- Free Tight End Camp set for fifth season
- Brookfield Academy: April 17
- Brookfield East boys win track Spartan Invitational
- Brookfield East girls track captures four first places