After handily beating Wauwatosa East (7-0) on Sept. 1, Brookfield Central (10-3) came back and swept the singles matches to beat Divine Savior Holy Angels (4-3) in a thriller to go to 2-0 in the Greater Metro Conference.
Nicole Spiel won the No. 1 singles match (7-6(4), 6-2) and Jessica Tang coasted to a win (6-3, 6-2) in the No. 2 match. Then Megan Homan (6-2, 1-6, 6-1) and Amrita Choithani (6-7(1), 6-1, 6-1) battled hard to assure the Lady Lancers of the victory.
DSHA swept the three doubles matches, as coach Dave Steinbach has had trouble finding a consistent, winning combination there.
The Lady Lancers swept the Red Raiders at Hart Park to open the week. Spiel won (6-1, 6-0), as did Tang (6-0, 6-0), Homan (6-1, 6-1) and Choithani (6-4, 6-1).
Sara Strohmaier/Jenna Oimoen (6-2, 6-2), Maggie Groose/Birdy Smith (6-1, 6-1) and Caroline Treis/Brooke Skemp (6-2, 6-3) swept the doubles lineup.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sport Shorts: May 23
- Brookfield Central girls' track streak now at six titles
- Sport Shorts: May 21
- Brookfield Central golfers win GMC championship
- Brookfield East girls track second in GMC Triple Crown race
- Brookfield Central boys track earns three wins
- Brookfield Academy Sports Shorts: May 23
- Brookfield East girls soccer beats Franklin, Menomonee Falls
- Spartans' Werking sisters help each other compete
- Brookfield East Sport Shorts: May 14