Brookfield East will lose nine seniors from a team that finished with an outstanding 17-3-2 record.
The Spartans finished third in the Greater Metro Conference behind Brookfield Central and Marquette - the only teams to beat them this year.
Some of the team's other highlights were a third-place finish in the annual Al Gusho Tournament, winning the Hartford Invitational and winning the regional for the second straight year.
Steve Bares, Eric Fuchs, Nick Gibson, Luke Goodnetter (captain), Alex Hauer, Adam Knudsen, Sam Long, Derek Rayburn and Chris Solberg were this year's seniors, and they all provided strong leadership.
Here is a look at some of this year's highlights:
• Junior Peter Horner led the team with 23 goals.
• The defense had nine shutouts led by Long, Hauer and Rayburn. Goodnetter and Knudsen formed a strong tandem in the midfield that won more battles than they lost over the course of the year.
Horner and fellow juniors Andy Raymonds, Evan Griffin, Matt Flanagan and Chris Haeberle all contributed to the success of the team.
Sophomores David Fuchs and Pete Tongas brought energy to their game, and freshman Josh Breider also contributed and played well in the sectional semifinal against Brookfield Central.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Three Brookfield East football players earn All-Suburban honors
- Rasmussen, Knopp first-team All-Suburban
- Impressive start for Brookfield Central girls basketball
- East girls struggle from the field
- Brookfield Academy: Dec. 5
- Dempsey, LeClaire to lead Brookfield East wrestling team
- Brookfield Stars hockey team wins Sheboygan Tournament
- Brookfield Central boys basketball rolls in Illinois tourney
- Rasmussen named GMC's top O-lineman
- Sydnor named MVP for Brookfield Central boys volleyball