Five students emerged as winners as they competed Jan. 17 in the annual District Spelling Bee at Templeton Middle School. Students who were top spellers were:
•Kayleigh Winston, champion, a Templeton grade 6 student;
•Samantha Moore, finalist, Templeton grade 8;
•Erica Nadolski, finalist, St. Agnes;
•Andrew O’Neill, finalist, Templeton grade 8; and
•Rashelle Pershman, finalist, Templeton grade 6.
Various public and private schools participated in the event, with “district” referring to a geographical area for the purpose of the spelling bee. Schools that participated were Lannon, Maple Avenue, Marcy and Woodside elementary schools and Templeton Middle School in the Hamilton School District, and St. Agnes in Butler and Peace Lutheran Academy in Sussex.
In all, 38 students in grades 5-8 participated in the bee. Students who won classroom or school spelling bees vied for the honor of participating in the District Spelling Bee. Top spellers of the district level bee advance to the Feb. 8 regional bee at CESA #1 in Pewaukee. Regional winners continue to the Wisconsin Spelling Bee, in hopes of qualifying for the Scripps Howard National Spelling Bee, to be held next June in Washington, D.C.
The following students competed in the District Spelling Bee:
•Templeton – Madison Adams, Ryan Badalamente, Logan Cleary, Skylar Cranfield, Dylan Gissal, Dustin Hartwig, Brian Heling, Samantha Moore, Andrew O’Neill, Rashelle Pershman, Anthony Ross, Allyson Schultz, Shashank Venkataramani and Kayleigh Winston;
•St. Agnes – Charlie Brockman, Tom Endries, Erica Nadolski and Alaina Valuch;
•Marcy – Molly Hubred, Lauren Power, Laura Steiner and John Weber;
•Maple – Mabel Jankowski, Allison Meunier, Paige Nettesheim and Jessica Wishart;
•Woodside – Hanna Anderegg , Tyler Kebis, Cole Kruk , Olivia Neils , Cole Peske and Holly Venkitaswaran;
•Lannon – Ty Kozic and Lindsey Sinks; and
•Peace Lutheran – Robert Frerking, Grace Kirk, Julia Perry and Anders Rhode.
Jacque English, Templeton Middle School Spectrum resource teacher, coordinated the Spelling Bee.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Fitness Revolution Brookfield Adds Jeni Manago to Team
- Art & Craft Vendors Wanted!
- Hamilton again on Newsweek’s “Best High Schools” list
- Chantae Miller will appear in Milwaukee Rep Theater's production of The Color Purple
- Christ King Parish and School celebrates its 75th Anniversary with an All School Reunion!
- Potential neural treatments for autism patients
- Maximizing Immunity: Attacking Cancer Before It Develops
- SCORE 50th Anniversary Luncheon October 9th
- Bret Baier to keynote MCW Healthcare Dinner 2014
- Christ the King Church of Delafield Announces New Worship Schedule; Adds Singer/Guitarist/Songwriter Dave Gerhartz to Music Staff