Brookfield, Wis. – Attorney Latrice M. Milton, owner of Milton Family Law, has earned certification in Collaborative Divorce from the Collaborative Family Law Council of Wisconsin.
Milton, who opened Milton Family Law in 2011, was certified after completing extensive training in the collaborative divorce process. Collaborative divorce is an alternative to the traditional model of adversarial divorce. Its cooperative approach is growing in popularity as a means to limit the long-term emotional and financial damage of extended legal warfare by divorcing partners.
Collaborative divorce strives to minimize conflict, maximize cooperation and limit damaging fallout to children and everyone else affected by a divorce.
“The results of collaborative divorce are usually less bitterness, lower legal costs, a quicker process and a customized settlement involving elements that a court often wouldn’t consider,” Milton said. “For those willing to use it, collaborative divorce offers a more palatable and less acrimonious option to squaring off and letting a court decide who wins and loses.”
Collaborative divorce requires a commitment by both partners not to litigate, and employs a structured negotiation process to resolve all issues in a divorce. The process often involves a team comprised of lawyers, a child specialist, a financial counselor and mental health professionals.
The negotiations emphasize open communication and sharing information. Attorneys involved in the process are barred from continuing representation if litigation is ultimately pursued.
“This certification provides clients of Milton Family Law another option when considering divorce and its ramifications for their lives,” said Milton, who specializes in representing women. “My practice uses a holistic approach that supports women on many levels, and collaborative divorce fits in well with this ideal.”
Milton, a Brookfield native, is a graduate of the University of Wisconsin Law School. She holds a B.A. in behavioral science and law/psychology from UW-Madison.
Milton Family Law has offices in Brookfield and Madison. Its web site is www.womensdivorcerights.com. Latrice Milton offers insight on a variety of family law topics at www.youtube.com/user/MiltonFamilyLaw.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Greater Brookfield Chamber of Commerce announces monthly Tech Trends series of workshops on IT, internet safety, and commonly-used software
- Dr. Nicole Knapp, D.C. launches blog to educate general public about health conditions that can affect the quality of their life
- Fourth of July, Festa Italiana, Good Health and Good Deeds … All Together!
- Rotary Club’s watermelon slices quench thirst, benefit community
- DYPC Junior & Senior Company Auditions
- Summer Travel Tips, or “How to Make Your Dollar Travel Further”
- ATI Physical Therapy Offers Complimentary Screenings at All Locations
- The UMDF Energy for Life Walk is September 26th!
- Local Artisans complete work at Lambeau Field
- Callen Staffer Earns National Certification Designation