Waukesha, WI – National Tourism Week was celebrated May 5-13, 2012 and in an effort to enhance tourism awareness the Waukesha and Pewaukee Convention and Visitors Bureau (WPCVB) sent “Secret Tourists” out in the community. The purpose of the visits were to emphasize the tremendous daily role the frontline service staff plays in directing, informing and welcoming guests to our community.
Each Secret Tourist pretends to need directions asking front-line staff for assistance. This is one way businesses that encounter travelers can gauge the success of their front-line training programs including utilizing map pads that are offered to tourism businesses in Waukesha & Pewaukee. Visiting a total of 14 locations from various industries: gas stations, restaurants and retail, the CVB was pleased with the responses given by the front line staff.
Locally, travelers to Waukesha County spent more than $617,500 in 2011, up 8.21% from 2010! This again places Waukesha County as the 4th highest county in the state for tourism receipts, following Milwaukee, Dane and Sauk Counties respectively. All these travelers not only generate tourism revenue but also support 13,818 hospitality jobs in Waukesha County- up .78% since 2010.
The WPCVB actively markets to the business, sports and leisure traveler doing their part to support the statewide traveler spending exceeding $16 billion in 2012! This is a testament to the power of travel and its impact on the state’s economy as one of the three pillars of industry with manufacturing and agriculture.
WPCVB “Secret Tourists” were awarded small tokens of appreciation for proper answers and were provided additional Visitors Guides and maps serving as a reminder and resource for offering great customer service.
The Convention and Visitors Bureau is dedicated to the promotion of Waukesha & Pewaukee, WI, as a business and leisure destination. The allure of the area has been publicized by being chosen to host ABC’s Good Morning America, named “Best Affordable Suburb” in the US – Business Week and named America’s 8th “Best Place to Raise a Family” – Forbes Magazine. Additional community information can be found at www.visitwaukesha.org.
# # #
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ice Cream Social at the Brookfield Public Library
- MCW-Green Bay receives $250,000 Impact Grant from the Green Bay Packers Foundation
- New Dr. Nicole Knapp, D.C. blog post – Pregnancy and Chiropractic
- C.A.R.I.N.G. Group Elmbrook Maintains Summer Momentum, Donating More Than $500 to Schools
- Kevin Rey Joins R.A. Smith National as Civil Engineer
- Polonia's Annual Festival
- Mom's Concussion Clinic to focus on safe sports play techniques and injury prevention
- SOUTHEAST WISCONSIN FESTIVAL OF BOOKS ANNOUNCES CO-CHAIRS and DATE OF EVENT
- Andrew Utic Joins R.A. Smith National as Civil Engineer
- MCW to expand Tosa Center