Nearly 50 high school youth and chaperones from Christ the King Lutheran Church, Delafield, Atonement Lutheran Church, Racine, and St. John’s Lutheran Church, Brookfield, traveled together by motor coach to join hundreds of other ELCA congregations to participate in the 2012 Evangelical Lutheran Church of America (ELCA) Youth Gathering held in New Orleans, July 18-22.
The five-day event, under the theme, “Citizens with the Saints,” focused on the ministry areas of justice, peacemaking, and discipleship that included a day of cleanup in a neighborhood ravaged by Hurricane Katrina and an inspiring address by 2011 Nobel Peace Laureate Leymah Gbowee, who brought together Christian and Muslim women in a nonviolent movement that played a pivotal role in ending Liberia’s civil war in 2003. Pastor Mark Hanson, the Presiding Bishop of the ELCA, also addressed the group during the Gathering at the Mercedes Benz Superdome. The closing evening festivities were highlighted by a special, guest appearance by the popular recording band, Swiftfoot.
The 2012 gathering brought more than 33,000 youth and adult leaders together from around the United States. ELCA Youth Gatherings occur every three years. The first Gathering took place in San Antonio, Texas, in 1988. The next Youth Gathering is scheduled for 2015 in Detroit.
An ELCA (Evangelical Lutheran Church of America) church, Christ the King has nearly 1,000 parishioners and welcomes new members. The summer worship is held on Saturdays at 5 p.m. and Sundays at 9 a.m. Saturday worship is held outdoors, weather permitting.
For information on Christ the King, call (262) 646-2343 or visit www.ctkdelafield.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Save 40-80% at Olive Promotions Sample Sale
- Milwaukee/NARI Announces 2013 “Best of Tour” Award Winner
- Safe Sitter Babysitting Classes Offered at Wheaton Franciscan - Elmbrook Memorial
- FREE Elmbrook Memorial "Walk With A Wheaton Doc" - Saturday, June 22, 2013
- Butler's Picnic in the Park to Feature Vintage Baseball, Oscar Mayer Wienermobile
- Student’s award brings resources to high school
- Hamilton cheerleaders sponsor clinic
- Taylor J. Poehls, DC, CKTP, joins Foundation for Wellness Professionals to educate community in health and wellness
- Maple Avenue fifth-graders donate to Tricia’s Troops
- Templeton students earn State Honors