Milwaukee Choristers Christmas Concerts Set for December 7 and 8 at St. Mary's Visitation
“Moods of Christmas” is the theme of this year’s December concert by the Milwaukee Choristers (www.milwaukeechoristers.org). The 75-voice chorus, under the direction of Dr. James B. Kinchen, Jr., will perform Friday, Dec. 7 and Saturday, Dec. 8, at 7:30 p.m. at St. Mary’s Visitation Church in Elm Grove (1260 Church Street). The Choristers previously performed their December programs at St. Jude the Apostle Catholic Church in Wauwatosa from 2003 until 2011.
Advance tickets are $15 for adults, $12 for seniors and $5 for students. Those tickets may be purchased online at www.milwaukeechoristers.org, from members of the chorus or by calling 414-354-1933. Tickets also may be purchased at the door, where the prices will be $18, $15 and $6 respectively. All seating is general admission.
Dr. Kinchen has programmed a concert featuring musical depictions of the wide-ranging emotions of the holiday season, inspired by the Robert Russell Bennett’s 1963 set of suites entitled “Many Moods of Christmas”. The Choristers will perform two suites from that work, along with Craig Courtney’s lighthearted “A Musicological Journey Through the 12 Days of Christmas”, a stirring setting of the centuries-old Latin text “O Magnum Mysterium”, the African American spirituals “Sister Mary had-a But One Child” and “I Believe this is Jesus”, and John Rutter’s heartfelt “I Wish You Christmas”. Other yuletide favorites include “Do You Hear What I Hear”, “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” and a powerful rendition of the “Hallelujah Chorus” from Handel’s Messiah.
A free reception will follow the concert each night, as well as a raffle with a number of festive prizes. Raffle tickets will be available for purchase before and after each night’s performance and during intermissions.
In the giving spirit of the season, concert-goers are invited to bring non-perishable food items that will be distributed to families in need by this all-volunteer charitable organization. All contributions are tax deductible.
For more information about the concert and the Choristers, visit www.milwaukeechoristers.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Fitness Revolution Brookfield Adds Jeni Manago to Team
- Art & Craft Vendors Wanted!
- Hamilton again on Newsweek’s “Best High Schools” list
- Chantae Miller will appear in Milwaukee Rep Theater's production of The Color Purple
- Christ King Parish and School celebrates its 75th Anniversary with an All School Reunion!
- Potential neural treatments for autism patients
- Maximizing Immunity: Attacking Cancer Before It Develops
- SCORE 50th Anniversary Luncheon October 9th
- Bret Baier to keynote MCW Healthcare Dinner 2014
- Christ the King Church of Delafield Announces New Worship Schedule; Adds Singer/Guitarist/Songwriter Dave Gerhartz to Music Staff