For the second year in a row, St. Mary's Visitation 8th grader Elizabeth Janowski won the CESA 1 District Spelling Bee. The spelling bee, which is affiliated with the Scripps National Spelling Bee competition, was held Wednesday, January 16 at Catholic Memorial High School in Waukesha.
Elizabeth, who is the 2012 District Spelling Bee champion, again took first place in a field of 36 students from schools such as Holy Apostles, St. John Vianney, Waukesha Catholic, St. Agnes, St. Joseph, St. Anthony, St. Mary's Menomonee Falls, and St. Mary's Visitation.
Elizabeth’s winning word was "derisible." She commented, "I prepared a few days ahead of each spelling bee using a collection or word list I've found online. I enjoy spelling bees because you get to hear a lot of new words that are not usually used in a regular vocabulary."
Elizabeth's district win qualified her to participate in the Regional Spelling Bee with the date to be announced.
Other SMV students who qualified to participate in the district meet included 7th grader Jesse Bopp, 6th grader Cole Mueller and 5th grader Louis Kroog.
Congratulations to Elizabeth, and to Jesse, Cole and Louis on their spelling accomplishments!
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Greater Brookfield Chamber of Commerce announces monthly Tech Trends series of workshops on IT, internet safety, and commonly-used software
- Dr. Nicole Knapp, D.C. launches blog to educate general public about health conditions that can affect the quality of their life
- Fourth of July, Festa Italiana, Good Health and Good Deeds … All Together!
- Rotary Club’s watermelon slices quench thirst, benefit community
- DYPC Junior & Senior Company Auditions
- Summer Travel Tips, or “How to Make Your Dollar Travel Further”
- ATI Physical Therapy Offers Complimentary Screenings at All Locations
- The UMDF Energy for Life Walk is September 26th!
- Local Artisans complete work at Lambeau Field
- Callen Staffer Earns National Certification Designation