For the second year in a row, St. Mary's Visitation 8th grader Elizabeth Janowski won the CESA 1 District Spelling Bee. The spelling bee, which is affiliated with the Scripps National Spelling Bee competition, was held Wednesday, January 16 at Catholic Memorial High School in Waukesha.
Elizabeth, who is the 2012 District Spelling Bee champion, again took first place in a field of 36 students from schools such as Holy Apostles, St. John Vianney, Waukesha Catholic, St. Agnes, St. Joseph, St. Anthony, St. Mary's Menomonee Falls, and St. Mary's Visitation.
Elizabeth’s winning word was "derisible." She commented, "I prepared a few days ahead of each spelling bee using a collection or word list I've found online. I enjoy spelling bees because you get to hear a lot of new words that are not usually used in a regular vocabulary."
Elizabeth's district win qualified her to participate in the Regional Spelling Bee with the date to be announced.
Other SMV students who qualified to participate in the district meet included 7th grader Jesse Bopp, 6th grader Cole Mueller and 5th grader Louis Kroog.
Congratulations to Elizabeth, and to Jesse, Cole and Louis on their spelling accomplishments!
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Adolescent patients needed for study on pain
- Care and quality of life for older, rural HIV-positive adults
- HGTV’s House Hunters Returns to Southeastern Wisconsin to Feature Flat Rate Home Services’ Employee
- Waukesha County Genealogical Society to meet on May 27
- WAMI Award Winner Singer/Songwriter Nora Collins Announces Support for 2015 MECA Vest a K-9 Fest
- Comprehensive Eye Exams Can Help Re-engage Patients Into Care for Certain Chronic Conditions, With the Potential to Help Improve Health and Reduce Costs
- Milwaukee Non-profit Aiding Children in Foster Care Seeks Help
- Three Brookfield Ameriprise Advisors Achieve Circle of Success Recognition
- American Heart Association funds epigenetic hypertension research at MCW
- The Knightwind Ensemble Memorial Day Concert