For the second year in a row, St. Mary's Visitation 8th grader Elizabeth Janowski won the CESA 1 District Spelling Bee. The spelling bee, which is affiliated with the Scripps National Spelling Bee competition, was held Wednesday, January 16 at Catholic Memorial High School in Waukesha.
Elizabeth, who is the 2012 District Spelling Bee champion, again took first place in a field of 36 students from schools such as Holy Apostles, St. John Vianney, Waukesha Catholic, St. Agnes, St. Joseph, St. Anthony, St. Mary's Menomonee Falls, and St. Mary's Visitation.
Elizabeth’s winning word was "derisible." She commented, "I prepared a few days ahead of each spelling bee using a collection or word list I've found online. I enjoy spelling bees because you get to hear a lot of new words that are not usually used in a regular vocabulary."
Elizabeth's district win qualified her to participate in the Regional Spelling Bee with the date to be announced.
Other SMV students who qualified to participate in the district meet included 7th grader Jesse Bopp, 6th grader Cole Mueller and 5th grader Louis Kroog.
Congratulations to Elizabeth, and to Jesse, Cole and Louis on their spelling accomplishments!
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Dan Ewert earns Eagle Scout Award
- How to Choose a Trustworthy Plumber
- Trinity UCC Seeking Crafters for October 10 Fair
- Dr. Zhenghao Wu, MD, Joins Columbia St. Mary’s Columbia West
- Tech Trends workshops continue on September 10, due to exceptional success
- Thomas Chappelle, New Berlin Resident, Joins Brookfield Office of Ameriprise Financial
- Greater Brookfield Chamber of Commerce 58th Annual Meeting to be held on November 18, 2015
- New Dr. Nicole Knapp, D.C. blog post – Backpacks and School
- Wauwatosa Remodeler SJJanis Makes The Top 60 National Firms For Customer Satisfaction
- Jim Palzewicz brings EOS (Entrepreneurial Operating System) to Wisconsin