Hamilton was one of only two K-12 school districts in the state that earned the top “significantly exceeds expectations” rating in the second annual School Report Card released today by the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction. In addition to the district earning a top rating, Lannon and Marcy elementary schools and Hamilton High School each earned “significantly exceeds expectations” at the school level, and all other schools in the district earned “exceeds expectations” ratings. The district had the highest overall score among K-12 Waukesha County school districts.
“Ensuring maximum achievement for each child is our mission, and staff members are committed to helping students reach their potential,” said Hamilton Superintendent Kathleen Cooke, Ph.D.
“The new School Report Card provides helpful information to monitor our progress in the areas that are our focus – rigorous standards, student growth and closing gaps,” Cooke said. “The district’s strategic plan has steps in place to address those areas.”
“This is one piece of data to help us assess our progress. We know we still have work that needs to be done, and our strategic plan will continue to guide our efforts,” she said.
Wisconsin implemented a new educational accountability system last year with more rigorous benchmarks and a new way to report school progress. Each public school now has a School Report Card that lets people know how well it is preparing students for their futures. Because of strategic planning efforts and a track record of focusing on student achievement, schools in the Hamilton School District earned positive ratings under the new system.
The new report cards present an overall accountability score calculated using four factors:
• student achievement on a state assessment;
• year-to-year student growth in reading and mathematics;
• success in closing gaps between specific groups of students; and
• predictors of high school graduation and postsecondary readiness.
The overall accountability score rates schools on a scale of 0 to 100 and places them in one of five categories: significantly exceeds expectations (83-100), exceeds expectations (73-82.9), meets expectations (63-72.9), meets few expectations (53-62.9) and fails to meet expectations (52.9 and below). Each Hamilton school was rated as “exceeds expectations” or “significantly exceeds expectations.”
Hamilton School District 2012-13 School Report Card data
School Overall score Student achievement Reading
achievement Math achievement Overall
Lannon 87.1 90.0 40.0 50.0 Signif. exceeds
Maple Ave. 77.4 83.1 34.3 48.8 Exceeds
Marcy 86.5 91.9 42.7 49.3 Signif. exceeds
Woodside 81.6 82.9 35.6 47.3 Exceeds
Templeton 79.2 87.1 37.9 49.3 Exceeds
Hamilton High 84.8 84.0 39.2 44.9 Signif. exceeds
District 83.0 86.8 37.9 48.9 Signif. exceeds
In addition to establishing School Report Cards, the new state accountability system is bringing about other changes in Wisconsin education including:
• The Wisconsin Concepts and Knowledge exam will be replaced in 2014-15 with a new national assessment.
• A new teacher and principal evaluation system which factors in student test scores and educator practices is being piloted statewide and will be fully implemented in 2014-15.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ramirez Family Foundation pledges $1 million to improve healthcare quality and reduce costs
- Do You Have a Silent Leak? Southeast Wisconsin Plumber Suggests Auditing Water Bill
- Alicia, My Story
- Easter Egg Hunt!
- Holy Week Celebration Services at Trinity UCC
- NEWCASTLE PLACE TO HOST MEMORIES IN THE MAKING® ART SHOWCASE
- Prata Duo To Present Free Concert
- MCW researchers to study medication to treat traumatic brain injury
- Use of stent, compared to medications, increases risk of stroke in patients with narrowed artery within the brain
- HISPANIC PROFESSIONALS OF GREATER MILWAUKEE ANNOUNCES CRISTINA SARALEGUI AS KEYNOTE SPEAKER FOR FIVE STAR GALA