Kathy Biernat, St. Mary’s Visitation’s Junior High Science teacher, was chosen to receive the 2014 Herb Kohl Foundation Fellowship Award.
Biernat is one of 100 teachers statewide who has been chosen to receive this prestigious award. Fellowship recipients are chosen for their superior ability to inspire a love of learning in their students, their ability to motivate others, and for their leadership and service within and outside the classroom.
In her nine years of teaching at St. Mary’s Visitation, Biernat has been instrumental in developing a top-notch science program in SMV’s junior high. Students study robotics, use interactive distance learning through NASA and other agencies and conduct experiments using advanced technology. In addition to this honor, Biernat recently received a NASA Explorer School Robotics grant and was one of ten teachers named to NASA’s 2013 National Explorer School Merit Roll. She also received the 2014 Educator Grant from the Air Force Association.
“Kathy is one of the most passionate teachers I have ever had the privilege of working with,” said Mary Tretow, SMV Principal. “She is always looking ahead to see what she can do to engage her students in the love of science. She is creating future engineers right here at St. Mary’s. We are so proud of her!”
The Kohl Foundation Scholarship and Fellowship program was established by Herb Kohl, U.S. Senator (Retired) in 1990. Excellence Scholarship and Fellowship recipients are selected by a statewide committee composed of civic leaders, and representatives of education-related associations. To date the foundation has awarded $8.6 million to Wisconsin educators, students and schools.
St. Mary's Visitation, 13000 Juneau Blvd. in Elm Grove, provides Catholic education to students in grades three-year-old kindergarten through eighth grade. Since 1859, the school has educated children in Elm Grove, Brookfield, Wauwatosa, New Berlin and the surrounding areas.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Drew Lillibridge Earns Prestigious Eagle Scout Award
- Attendance at Seventh Annual Multi-Chamber Networking Event Tops Two Hundred Fifty Members
- Bartelt Wins Two MBA Achievement Awards
- HMGC designated to run Undiagnosed Disease Network sequencing center
- Join UW-Waukesha Continuing Education for Haunted Halloween Chicago Trip
- Dr. Carole Street Vetter named David S. Haskell, MD, Endowed Professor in Orthopaedic Education
- Harvest! Halloween and Harvest Shopping Market is October 3-5 at Hawthorne Hill Farm
- Scientist receives NIH Director’s Award to study molecular causes of disease
- RED HOT MAMA! A Tribute to Sophie Tucker (featuring Becky Spice)
- Researcher to study genetic and physical causes of chronic pelvic pain