Elm Grove, WI July 13, 2014 Elm Grove Garden Club has been designated the Garden Club of the Year by Wisconsin Garden Club Federation. Elm Grove is one of 48 clubs in the state eligible to apply for the award.
Elm Grove Garden Club’s most visible community project is the Blue Star Memorial Marker and garden installed several years ago after the Griesell-Smith Legion Post #419 was moved due to flooding. The garden around the Blue Star Marker includes engraved memorial brick pavers honoring both military members and community supporters. The club plants and maintains the gardens in a patriotic theme using roses, other perennials, bulbs and annuals.
Community involvement also includes Tour Le Jardin, an annual garden walk to be held again on July 19th, a newly established Earth Day program in conjunction with the School Sisters of Notre Dame, a special tea in October and a flower show every other year. New projects include re-establishing a Monarch Butterfly area on the Milwaukee County grounds following recent freeway construction damage.
This active club has established a balance of education, civic and environmental responsibility and floral design and personifies the focus of Wisconsin Garden Club Federation. The club currently has 15 members and meets the third Thursday of the month at 9:45 am. Look for more information at www.elmgrovegardenclub.com.
Wisconsin Garden Club Federation is a community of 1100 gardeners located in 48 clubs throughout the state. Its mission is to foster education, civic and environmental responsibility on the local, state and national level. For more information, visit www.wisconsingardenclub.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Kevin Rey Joins R.A. Smith National as Civil Engineer
- Polonia's Annual Festival
- Mom's Concussion Clinic to focus on safe sports play techniques and injury prevention
- SOUTHEAST WISCONSIN FESTIVAL OF BOOKS ANNOUNCES CO-CHAIRS and DATE OF EVENT
- Andrew Utic Joins R.A. Smith National as Civil Engineer
- MCW to expand Tosa Center
- MCW concussion expert wins GE & NFL Head Health Challenge Award
- Fitness Revolution Brookfield Becomes a “Sweat Angel” for Charity
- Habitat for Humanity Selects Flat Rate Home Services to Assist in New Project
- Richfield Art at the Mill